Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Breathing Space


I don't know about you, but I have always taken the idea of "spring cleaning" pretty seriously. Those first days where the sun is out, there is a light breeze but the weather is warming up, I open up the windows and start going through things. My closet, for sure, is the first place I tackle. I put those heavy winter sweaters away, tuck the boots in a box in the closet and bring out the lighter fabrics and open toed shoes, sandals and flip flops.

Over the past few years, I have made the concept of "spring cleaning" become "fall cleaning" and go through the same process. I put away the lighter weight fabrics, tuck the sandals and flip flops in the box in exchange for the boots, closed toe shoes and heavier fabrics, sweaters, pants and jeans. Yesterday was such a day to do so. My head was feeling cloudy and unfocused, the weather was cool and gloomy, and my closet/bedroom was starting to look like a small rat's nest, or perhaps the beginnings of hoarding (Don't worry, I won't be throwing out my greyhound in my Goodwill run!).





There are many benefits to cleaning out the clutter. I stumbled across an article at Shape's online magazine that covers many benefits, and these benefits coincide with the various aspects of self-care. The article cites various studies and journals that show this relationship:
  • Physical Self-Care: Cleaning out the clutter can actually help you eat better! “Clutter is stressful for the brain, so you’re more likely to resort to coping mechanisms such as choosing comfort foods or overeating than if you spend time in neater surroundings." Not only that, but being more organized can help you stick to your workouts and even lose weight.
  • Mental/Emotional Self-Care: Cleaning out the clutter can lead to less depression and stress. "Women who described their homes as 'cluttered' or full of 'unfinished projects' were more depressed, fatigued, and had higher levels of the stress hormone cortisol than women who felt their homes were 'restful' and 'restorative'."
  • Relational Self-Care: "Happy relationships with your partner and friends are key to warding off depression and disease, but a disorganized life can take a toll on these bonds. For couples, clutter can create tension and conflict and the time you spend looking for missing items can also take away from time you could be spending together."
  • Professional Self-Care: Cleaning out the clutter can lead to higher productivity. “When you’re organized at work, you’re more productive and efficient, which means you’re able to finish at a reasonable time and go home. This leaves you with the time you need to exercise, prepare a healthy meal, relax, and get more sleep."
I know for myself, I am already feeling more relaxed and have more mental clarity. See the after picture? Wouldn't you feel better if your room looked like this rather than in a state of disarray? I know my greyhound does! 


A bonus question for you: Where in your home or work space could you clean out some clutter and gain more clarity? Is it as big as your entire house, or as small as a drawer? Do you live and work in your car, thus every food wrapper and stray pen has found a place nestled somewhere in the front or back seat? Does your work desk look as though a tornado passed through? Find where you need clarity, clear out the clutter and see how you feel!



No comments:

Post a Comment